Adding an eBook to your device
When we talk about an eBook, there are two different types of files that qualify: ePub files and Mobi files. You will likely need only one of these types of files, but which one depends on the device you use to read your eBook.
Amazon Kindles can read .mobi files, while all other eBook readers (including your computer) use .epub files.
Below we’ll detail how to manually load an eBook onto your eReader.
Kindle (any model)
1. With your computer, download the .mobi version of the book you’d like to read.
2. Connect your Kindle to your computer with your device’s USB cable.
3. Your Kindle will mount on your computer as an external disk. Copy the .mobi file you downloaded into the “documents” folder on your Kindle.
4. Don’t forget to unmount your Kindle before unplugging it!
5. Your new book will now appear on your Kindle’s home screen. Enjoy!
Any Apple iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)
Before starting, you must have the following:
If you can check your email on your device and have an eBook reader already installed, then you’re ready to get started!
1. Check your email on your iOS device. Find the email from us with the links to your eBook.
2. Click the link to either the .epub or .mobi file.
3. A new screen should pop up that offers an option to open the file. If prompted, choose an Application to use that can open the selected file. (“Kindle for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch” can open .mobi files. “iBooks” can open .epub files.)
Nook (any model)
1. With your computer, download the .epub version of the book you’d like to read.
2. Connect your Nook to your computer with your device’s USB cable.
3. Your Nook will mount on your computer as an external disk. Copy the .epub file you downloaded into the “My Documents” folder on your Nook.
4. Don’t forget to unmount your Nook before unplugging it!
5. To view it in the Nook, go to “My Library”.
6. Select “View my Documents”.
7. Select “Check for New Content”.
8. Select your new book to begin reading. Enjoy!
Any other eReader (such as a Sony Reader, Kobo Wireless eReader, or an Android Tablet) will use a process similar to the Nook or Kindle processes. Essentially, just attach your device to your computer, locate the folder that contains any other eBooks (often called “documents”, “My Documents”, or “Books”), and copy the .epub file into this folder.
You can also read eBooks on your Computer (Mac or PC).
It is possible to read either file type (.epub or .mobi) on a computer with the right software.
Adobe Digital Editions can open an .epub file directly.
Calibre is an application that can open both .epub files and .mobi files.
We hope you enjoy reading eBooks from Smyth & Helwys!