Smyth & Helwys Publishing produces books and Bible study materials for individuals and churches under its imprints NextSunday Resources, Smyth & Helwys Books, and Peake Road Press. We are currently seeking a full-time Curriculum Editor with responsibilities in substantive editing and quality control.
We require excellent English skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, meticulous attention to detail and time management, and good organizational skills. Applicants must demonstrate essential computer skills along with the ability and willingness to learn. The possibility for travel exists, though it will be limited. We desire a graduate level degree, preferably in a field related to religious studies. Some relevant church ministry experience is also preferred.
Qualified applicants must be available to begin by June 1, 2015. Relocation to Macon, Georgia, is required.
Function: Full-time, in-house primary editor with responsibilities in substantive editing and quality control of assigned curriculum resources. This position reports to the Publisher. Duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Provide overall leadership for assigned resources as per established guidelines and procedures
- Manage writer approval and enlistment for assigned resources
- Provide primary and substantive editing of materials submitted by writers, editing for all quality control issues with emphasis on editorial and logistical areas per established quality control guidelines
- Collaborate with senior editor on creation of scope & sequence for all curriculum resources
- Follow closely the production calendar for assigned resources and support the entire production process as needed and requested
- Coordinate aspects of work on assigned resources with senior editor per production schedule and procedures
- Consult in production strategies, including cover design and marketing
- Establish a broad range of writer contacts and cultivate a significant presence among a larger community of ministry and publishing professionals
- Serve as a representative of S&H, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other members of the S&H community and with the public
- Travel as necessary to participate in workshops, training events, and promotional activities as needed
- Participate in the development and implementation of marketing strategies as requested
All applications must include education and employment histories and provide three references. Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.